Hooper Graphics is seeking to comply with all relevant environmental legislation. Having checked the Environmental Key Performance Indicators produced by Defra the following recommendations have been adopted.
- Working from home, which has greatly reduced my carbon footprint in a number of ways, including no heating costs (I have insulated the floor of my studio so that I do not need any heating during the day and the roof insulation has also been upgraded); and no travelling costs.
- All paper waste is recycled or composted; with emails are printed only where absolutely necessary; scrap paper is utilised wherever possible, this results in no blank paper going into the bin. Toner cartridges are recycled according to Hewlett Packard’s Environmental Policy and computer/electrical equipment is either recycled or disposed of according to WEEE standards.
- Vehicle costs are kept to a minimum by walking or using public transport to visit customers whenever possible.
- Use local suppliers, who are FSC accredited, on either unwanted stock or from an environmentally friendly paper stock wherever possible, for all offset and digital printing, either for customer or business use.
- Electric usage is kept to a minimum and a "switch off" policy is in operation.
This Policy has been produced in December 2010, updated in November 201. Hooper Graphics is committed to a continual improvement of its sustainability performance and minimising its environmental impact. The latest news can be viewed under the heading The Green Foundation in my blog.